Biblical Counselor Training
Biblical counselor training is for those who desire to develop an understanding and application of biblical counseling and the impact it has on the community of believers.
**For Salem Heights Church attenders, taking the Equipped to Counsel classes in no way guarantees or obligates you to join our counseling team.**
Equipped to Counsel
Introduction to biblical counseling and counseling issues
Course Description: This 8-month class is designed to equip followers of Christ with the ability to apply the gospel in personal and specific ways to the heart and struggles of others. We will address both the theology and practice of gospel-centered counseling. Participants will be prepared to minister effectively to individuals, couples and families with a biblical perspective on change in the context of community. Issues such as addictions, anxiety, anger and depression will be covered. Space is limited.
Classes offered both Wednesday evenings and Thursday mornings.
Wednesdays 6:00pm – 8:30pm; Thursdays 9:00am – 11:30am (The same material will be covered on Wednesday and Thursday; you only need to attend one class each week.)
Registration open August 1-September 14, 2023
Class begins September 27/28, 2023
Potential class dates (subject to change): Sept. 27/28, Oct 11/12, Oct. 25/26, Nov. 8/9, Nov. 29/30, Dec. 6/7, Jan. 10/11, Jan. 24/25, Feb. 7/8, Mar. 6/7, Mar. 20/21, Apr. 3/7, Apr. 17/18, May 8/9 (On weeks we do not meet, there is reading to do on your own.)
Certification Options & Cost
Option One: Certificate of Completion from Salem Heights Church Biblical Counseling Ministries
- Class, materials, proctoring of assignments, observation
- Completion of all assignments will earn a certificate of completion through Salem Heights Church Biblical Counseling Ministries. You also have the option of attending class and not completing assignments. Choose the level of work that best fits your needs.
- Cost: $199
Option Two: National Certification and Membership through The Association of Biblical Counselors
- Class, materials, proctoring of assignments, observation, practicum and certification through the Association of Biblical Counselors
- Cost: $649 (plus $25 paid directly to ABC upon submission of application)
A non-refundable $99 deposit is required to hold your spot in the class. Balance due Nov. 1.
Steps to enroll in Equipped to Counsel:
1. Apply using the link below (August 1-September 14, 2023)
2. Once your application has been approved, you will receive a link to register and pay your deposit.
3. Once your deposit has been paid, you will receive further information from us. If you choose to be certified through ABC, you will also receive instructions on your next steps to complete the ABC application.
Marriage & Family Counseling Class
Introduction to biblical counseling for marriages and families
Course Description: This 9-session class is designed to help students apply theology specifically to marriages and families, enhance their skills in counseling and one-another care, develop more experience by discussing a broad range of counseling case studies, and receive supervision on counseling case studies. For students who hold ABC Certification, this class will cover CEUs for the year. Space is limited.
Classes offered only on Thursday evenings during the 2024 Spring term.
Thursdays 6:00pm – 8:30pm
Registration open November 1-December 14, 2023
Class begins January 11, 2024
Potential class dates (subject to change): Jan. 11, Jan. 25, Feb. 8, Mar. 7, Mar. 21, Apr. 4, Apr. 18, May 2, May 16
Prerequisites & Cost
- Prerequisite: either completion of Equipped to Counsel or pastor permission is required
- Cost: $49
Watch one pastor share how beginning biblical counseling training impacted his church.
If you would like more information, please contact the church office at 503-588-0403 (ext 1) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Association of biblical counselors Regional Training Center
Salem Heights Church has been certified with the Association of Biblical Counselors as a Regional Training Center where we can provide the certification of students seeking national recognition through the Equipped to Counsel course. Salem Heights Church Biblical Counseling Ministry can also provide continuing education for already certified counselors.